Sunday, April 4, 2010

Talking Points #7

Gender and Education

After reading a few articles online, I was sort of surprised at the points the authors of the articles were making. They were saying that women were not getting equal treatment and most importantly attention in middle to high school levels. The author said that the effects of the lack of attention given to girls could be a lack of confidence and self esteem. That really made sense to me. It then made me think about my own experiences in high school and reflect to see if I saw any of the points made in the articles. In my own experiences, I didn't really see real signs of this inequality in my classrooms in high school and college. I see a lot of girls that are very active participants in class, and I think, even more active and challenging themselves more than the boys. Also, in my research, I learned that because of girls not challenging themselves, less girls higher level math and science classes and technology classes than boys. However, in my high school AP calculus class, there were more girls than boys in my class. And in my math classes here at RIC(I'm a math major), I would say on average there is about the same amount of women as men in the class. Because of what I see, I kind of disagree with the points that are being made, but then again, I haven't done deep research like the experts on gender and education.

Here are a few links I used to research:




3 comments:

  1. Kyle, I found similar things to you. I was also not surprised at some of the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My article too mentioned how females receive a lack of attention, therefore other problems arise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that you shouldnt be afraid to go by your own observations. Alot of these "experts" that you are talking about, do not actually offer real statistics to back up what they are saying. Their claims might sound great, but I really want to see statistics. Its my opinion that before we talk about anything, I want to see statistics, and only than we can talk about the reasons why the trends might be so.

    ReplyDelete